Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Easy advice about knitting a good heel of a woolen sock

"

15. Adivice about knitting the heel of a woolen sock (and advices for knitting the whole sock)
I knitted the heel of a woolen sock this way:
First 2right 2back 2right 2back... to the ankle, then copying from a ready sock around the heel right loops maybe half of the amount of loops, I mean knitting one way right loops and back looks to the opposite direction, when other loops waited on their sticks.
(Here I shoudl have paid attention to where this piece ends compared to the 2r 2b, I mean is it symmetrical in both socks. And if the start is higher, one needs to have more height on the backside of the feet.)
When the height of the heel is right (try in feet), I knitted (continuing some row) four (I mean the breath (sorry: should have been "width") of the backside of the heel, I had a thich thread made of two threads which someone had swirled together) middlemost loops to one stick and the sides on their own. So I needed six sticks. And then I lifted one loop per round from each side (likewise according to the form of the foot: all loops on the middlemost stick = the breath of the foot at that place), so in practise (mostly) when turning two loops lifted and the middlemost knitted too like the other liops. When the breath was ten loops, the sock was when trying to the foot slightly (maybe one loop distance from the stepping oart of the foot, since the sock may wander on feet) wider than the feet and so just right.
The remaining loops on the side sticks I at each row knitted one together with the sidemost loop of the center stick, for the breath to stay the samer.
Then I lfited on both sides from every second hole to stick teh edge of the work there, since that appeared good so.
Then Iknitted around 2r 2b to where was such and right loops to where was right loops before. And in te beginning I for a few tomes 1+1+0+1 knitted together one loop with the neighbouring always at the border of these two tyes of knitting. And so I had as many loops as in the beginning,and so I just continued knitting the tunnel until I ended the sock gradually after reacghing toes.

* * *
16. An additional remark about nitting heel
Here one needs to notice that in teh heel tehre are as many rows as on the edge stick plus one, so the last row needs propably be such that oe can continue around from it."






"38. An observation about knitting the heel of a sock
One shoudl not keep the thread tight when knitting, for example because one somewhat nervously wauts that what will the heel become like, because the thread gets squeezed to bunches like the hand squeezes a plastic bag's handles. Instead one should keep the thread relaxedly quite loose, so that it is a´soft squeezes under the foot to flatten niocely."



"37. About repairing woolen socks
 The heelof a sock I knitted was worn through from the heel after a few months, producing a hole of the size of almost the whole heel. I picked the unharmed loops to a stick from the side from where I had started knitting that area. I knitted a piece of the size and shape of the hole, testing the size by spreding it with a hand, and took care to not to make it so large that it would produce a douple thickness with the edges to under the foot. Then I sew it with a woolen thread of maybe half of the thickness or slightly less to be a part of the sock, taking care to sew the e´dges so that they would not break. Sock thread is too thick and thin sewing thread breacks the sock. The repairt piece ought to be on a less noticeable colour than the sock. It has been good in feet, one does not notice where the hole was."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but remember that Christmas gnomes are a subject that children often read.

Continuing at LearnTalents2.BlogSpot.com

 This blog seems to get overly long, which means ghat it could become unrwadable because of computer problems. So I try contunuing at LearnT...